What a great thread, with loads of alternatives to medication. I, too, have been suffering from GERD for a year. After an upper endoscopy and three kinds of medications, nothing has helped get rid of that "food in the throat" feeling and nausea. My doctor -- who I do like -- then diagnosed my issues as "bile reflux," and wanted me to try another medication for that. I finally said enough is enough, what is the CAUSE of this GERD? If it is certain triggers and "stress," which my doctor suspects, then let's get rid of the triggers and the stress!
So far, I have been able to manage my GERD symptoms by:
1. Eating small portions (probably the number one thing I am doing to minimize GERD)
2. Eating slowly/chewing well/staying mindful
3. Eating a mostly plant-based diet (though I think this does not necessarily solve my GERD -- it just makes me feel better, overall -- though eating loads of animal products -- including dairy, eggs, etc. -- in one sitting can overwhelm my guts)
4. Staying "regular" -- constipation is definitely linked to GERD flare ups for me
5. Avoiding my trigger foods: black tea on an empty stomach, chocolate, citrus at times
6. Drinking Pu-ehr, Oolong, and Chamomile tea -- chamomile is a natural bile suppressant, while I find I can manage oolong (and some green teas) very well. Pu-ehr tea is a natural probiotic (it is pressed, aged, fermented tea) and I never have a problem with it. (It's also my favorite tea so lucky me!)
7. Drinking water slowly (no gulping)
8. EXERCISE -- this reduces my stress. I am not a yoga person but Tai Chi works well for me, as does stair climbing, bicycling, and lots of "extreme walking."
9. Finding time to "breathe" and trying to relax in this busy, hectic, crazy place (New York City)
Overall, I'd say eating slowly and small portions is the number one way I can manage my GERD without medication.
I write about
my experiences with GERD on my blog, Cranky Gerd: http://crankygerd.blogspot.com/
(I think I'll link to this board thread -- such great suggestions here!)
Post Edited (crankygerd) : 4/19/2012 5:13:50 AM (GMT-6)