Tips from Lrti
Had Dom right hand done so pecking with my left.
1. Dr. said start taking pain meds (strongest doses) as soon as you get them to get ahead of the pain by the time the block wears off.
2. Elevate and ice-the only comfort I had even on pain meds.
3. Block wore completely off 18 hrs after surgery.
4. Prescribed Vicodin took 2 every 4 hours once block wore off it was not enough and Dr. Said to take Advil every 4 hours in between Vicodin and that helped.
5. Day 2 pain and swelling severe.
6. Plan ahead for food-used yogurt to take meds with. Chicken soup and rice,muffins and peanut butter.
6. Elevate: have pillow for hand in bed and chair
7.Ice: liked soft touch fabric cold compress the best- get 3 -nice and light on hand and tuck nicely under thumb
8. Use gripper shelf liner in key spots in kitchen to eat and fix meals. You'd be surprised how often you use you other hand to hold things.
I'm starting on day 3 goal is shower,I'm post any insight if I have any, pain is manageable, I'm off the Vicodin and using Advil along with elevation and ice.
Thanks much for the info - esp so soon after your surgery! You give me hope - because if you are on here and typing on day 3, and going to attempt a shower, perhaps it's not as bad as my brain keeps trying to tell me it is. I am sorry you had so much pain yesterday but glad it's better today. My email is firstname.lastname@example.org - if you can send pics, that would be great.
I am already planning ahead for food - going to make in advance and free individual portions. My friend lives across the street, thankfully, so she will be there to help when needed. I have another friend coming to stay with me for the first few days and up to a week, if I need her. I'm just looking forward to getting it done and over with as I have been living in constant pain for months now (shots and meds just aren't working anymore).
Thanks again and speedy recovery to you!