Thanks Judy2, I really appreciate your response. I have had all sorts of injections, I couldn't even name all the different types, lol. That's what was started with...cortisone, then something else, then, finally, some gel injection...I had all these from 2008 to last year (before the arthroscopy). All of them did great...for awhile...then the pain returned and seemed worse than before. Finally, I got an MRI in June of last year and there were some chondral defects shown and meniscus tears...it also showed ACL and MCL tears that weren't actually there. My surgeon went in and there was exposed bone everywhere, cartilage chunks floating around, two menisus tears, etc. So, he cleaned up the floating chunks of cartilage, did the condroplasty, and the menisectomy (sp). He said it's one of the worst knees he's seen in someone my age, ever. He said if I was 20 years older, I'd be immediately scheduled for a replacement but he thinks this allograft is a better option for the damage and my age. From what I understand, theoretically, if this allograft works, I may never need a replacement ever...or for many years. At any rate, when he said the wait was 6 weeks to 6 months, I was more than willing to do it over a TKR. But, as we are going into month 7 of officially waiting (after the measurement x-rays were done and tissue was ordered), I'm beginning to wonder if this really is the best option for me. I haven't gotten a 2nd opinion because I thought this sounded reasonable and I REALLY like him...he's so patient and understanding and he'll sit with me for an hour to explain things if I need him to. An amazing man and I truly trust him.
I did put a post in the Chronic Pain forum for some options on the PM situation. I hadn't really told my surgeon's office exactly what happened as I was far too upset Friday. I finally sat down and told his PA (who I've really grown close to) what happened and she was horrified. She is going to find me the name of a good PM who won't suggest burning my nerves or sticking needles in them as she understands why I don't want to do that and, also, ensure that the new PM won't think negatively about my cancelling the follow-up with the first PM. I looked the first PM up online and he has horrible ratings on every place I could find. For some reason, that made me feel better...that I'm not the "only" one who had a bad experience.
I really want to stay within this same medical system so there's that continuity of care with them being able to see everything. If the 2nd PM is not able to do anything, I will get a 2nd ortho opinion. I really hate to start over but, well, seeing that I am now looking at waiting another year, I think a 2nd opinion isn't a bad idea.
Anyhow, I am sorry I am so long-winded...I never seem to be able to "really" keep things short.
Thank you for your response!
34 years old mom of 2 diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis. I have large severe chondral defects in my knees and am currently waiting for a cadaver donor for cartilage rebuild of my right knee. I was in the U.S. Army for 8 years (1998-2006).