Allergy season is just around the corner - if not here already! So I thought I would compile a few tips to help all you allergy sufferers out there.
- Pollens are notorious for stirring up allergies, so if you go outside be sure to change your clothes. Pollen have little "barbs" on them and they will cling to everything. Yes, even in your hair. So if you have pollen allergies be sure to change frequently, brush your hair and if you have pets, brush them down before they enter the house. Be sure to wash your clothes in HOT water to remove any pollen.
- Keep your windows closed. Allergens can enter thru your window screens and circulate thru your house, aggravating your allergies even more.
- Keep your house well hydrated. Moisture in the house will weigh down the allergens so they can't float around in the air.
- When you vacuum, use a hypo allergenic filter if your vaccum has one. Dust AFTER you vacuum but wait about 20-30 minutes before doing so. Carpet fibers, allergens or dust are stirred up when you vaccum and will settle on the furniture and tables.
- Put cheesecloth over your vents. This will help trap any allergens that your furnace filter has missed. Use a hepa filter on your furnace that catches 99.9% of all allergens. These are little more expensive but well worth it!
- If you are not on allergy meds all year round, now might be the time to start. Some allergy meds don't become affective for a couple weeks so by starting now, hopefully you can stop your allergies before they become full blown.
Hopefully these tips can help you breathe easy this allergy season!