Posted 3/15/2009 7:12 AM (GMT -7)
Yes it's that time of year again! So here are few helpful tips for all you allergy sufferers out there.
* I know we want to open our windows to let the warmer air in but resist temptation! This is the number one most important tip that I can think of. If you open your windows you allow pollen to enter your home and if you are sensitive to it then it will make life a tad more miserable.
* If you are outside, change your clothes when you get inside and wash them immediatly. Shower before you go to bed if you can. By bathing, you will get the pollen out of your hair and skin. Or you can use a bristle brush on your hair before you go to bed. We spend so much time in our bedrooms that it's best to make this the main room that is allergen free.
* If you have pets, brush them down BEFORE they enter the house. They can carry a bunch of allergens on their fur.
* Put cheesecloth on your vents. This prevents allergens from getting disbursed thru your home. And don't forget the hypo-allergenic filter on your furnace! Be sure to replace these frequently.
* If you house is dry, use a humidifier. Moist air will "pat" down the allergens.
* Vacuum your carpets BEFORE you dust. Vacuuming stirs up dust, pollen, etc from the carpets. Wait a half hour and THEN dust. Spray the cloth with a cleaner, not directly on the surface. Spraying directly on the surface scatters allergens.
These are some tips to help you survive allergy season. Happy Spring everyone!