I saw my allergist for the first time today, and he did a scratch test for a crapload of environmental allergies, as well as some nuts due to a recent bad reaction to cashew butter.
I'm basically allergic to anything that grows. You name a grass, weed, or tree, and I probably had a big itchy welt to along with it. My allergist recommended I start getting weekly allergy shots. Has anyone here done this? Did it help a lot?
I also have oral allergy syndrome. For instance, when I eat a banana, my mouth feels odd for awhile afterward. The banana test came back okay, so my allergist said my body confuses the banana protein with the pollens that I'm allergic to.
As far as the nuts, I had some reaction to all the ones they tested (cashew, walnut, pecan, and almond). The cashew didn't surprise me of course, nor did the walnut (my tongue felt a little funny after sampling 1/2 tbsp of walnut butter). The other two I eat regularly though, with no obvious problems. I mostly eat almond butter, at least 2 tbsp worth a day, maybe a tad bit more. My allergist said to go ahead and keep eating the almond butter, but avoid the rest. Have any of you had luck with continuing to eat a nut that you had only a mild allergy to? Did it ever go from a mild allergy to a full blown one?