Posted 9/14/2010 10:56 AM (GMT -6)
Hi, thanks for reading my post...
In May I underwent skin testing for molds, pollens, house dust, etc. I also did blood testing for food allergies. It was discovered that I'm extremely allergic to all things outdoors and I have a high sensitivity to molds and house dust. Through my own detective work I have found that any exposure to mold & dirty indoor air puts my system over the edge and gives me symptoms, which for me are inflammation in my inner ear - which leads to temporary hearing loss and some dizziness. The official dx is Meniere's Syndrome, but my allergy doctor's analogy for my case is that I have asthma of the inner ear.
Once I discovered that unclean indoor air, mold spores are my biggest enemy, I did everything to improve my indoor environment and avoid any indoor or outdoor mold situations. I bought a purifier for the bedroom, HEPA vacuum, started using N95 masks for cleaning, etc. The doctor put me on allergy meds: singulair, allegra, zyrtec, etc. After 2 years of suffering (probably longer) I got better! After this, whenever I had an attack, I could trace it back to an exposure - usually something that involved mold. Other than the occasional exposure I became reliably better for a month and half. This is while pollen counts are high. I think the allergy meds have kept reaction to those allergens at bay.
Meanwhile the doctor put me on allergy shots for the molds, house dust, dog dander, etc, which we started at the end of June. Due to my immune system being on overload, we decided to wait on the outdoor allergy shots until late fall/winter, when those allergens go away.
So, I've been getting the mold house dust allergy shots for 2 1/2 months. I have noticed that for the past month it has been tougher and tougher to get a good day anymore. I seem to have become more sensitive to indoor allergens. I have determined that in the last month and half I've become sensitive to the A/C system in my office. I do better when I work from home. We have replaced the air filters at work, which gave me short-term relief. Now, I'm basically having chronic symptoms. Earlier this summer, I had no symptoms at work.
My question is this: Can allergy shots actually create higher sensitivity for some people?
I cannot think of anything else that has really changed in the last couple of months, other than me getting allergy shots each week. I'm concerned, because the last thing I need is to become more sensitive to these things with winter coming and my time indoors increasing substantially. Has this been the experience of some folks on here? All you ever find on the internet is how allergy shots will make you less sensitive over time.
If they have made me more sensitive, am I screwed at this point, or would discontinuing the shots roll back my sensitivity to where it was before?
I should mention that I have discovered food allergies too and I have been on a strict food rotation diet for this entire time. I'm also gluten, dairy, yeast, sugar free.
Thank you so much for reading this long post and providing me with any personal experience you may have with allergy shots.