Posted 2/4/2011 7:14 PM (GMT -7)
I have been struggling with a sinus infection for a year and a half. The ENT doc found the sinus infection with a head CT, because my main complaint was headache, and put me on antibiotics. Antibiotics, even two rounds, didn't stop them from coming back. I kept on treating with antibiotics for about an infection every month until a few weeks ago.
Then my allergist said I might be also having yeast or mold problems. She put me on a sinus wash - 50 ml water (about 2 cups) + 1 tsp salt + 1 tsp baby shampoo. I use my tiny teapot like a "netti pot."
Tha allergist has me taking Diflucan daily, stepping down over a couple of months. I also have a sinus rinse made of Bactrim nasal gel in saline - heated 30 sec or so in microwave to melt the parafin carirer which sticks to the glass cup I heat in, then poured back into the saline spray bottle.
I was feeling very poorly and getting worse with the infections. I'm quite suddenly feeling a lot better, but probably have a way to go. These infections can get settled in and become a "plaque" that is hard to remove, needs antibiotics to kill it - hence the Bactrim rinse.
Of course I've also been through al sorts of blood testing, thyroid, vitamin E, CBC and diff ...
The baby shampoo will prevent a plaque from forming but according to articles, won't kill it off by itself.