Hi Laurensmom24 -
Yes, it can take months to come up with a suspect list of food intolerances. And then it takes more time to break down the meals and find the individual food triggers.
I've posted numerous times, an so have others. If you go to the search box at the top of the page and put in sulfite or sulfite allergy or sulfite sensitivity or food journal, you will come up with a bunch of information.
Do you have any more foods that you know you react to?
Your reaction sounds more like a true allergy than a sensitivity, but maybe you could describe it further. It is possible to have a sulfite allergy, not just the sensitivity (which is still bad enough). I would recommend seeing a really experienced allergist to get some help. With your reaction it would be dangerous to do a food challenge without being in a doctors care. There's no accepted test, and I would not recommend so much as touching any form of sulfite without extreme dilution and in a hospital of doctor's office with emergency equipment available.
My allergist has seen sulfite sensitivity before, but a few of my docs don't believe in it. I've even been given things containing sulfite when hospitalized when I asked not to have them. Once I was able to control my reaction with Benadryl. I've been in the ER having to have my heart stopped and restarted to control the arrhythmia I can get. So sulfite is nothing to fool with or take for granted. And I don't even have a true allergy, just an intolerance!
If you google sulfite allergy or sulfite sensitivity you will find all sorts of lists of foods containing sulfite. The problem is that for most of us it takes a certain amount of the substance, and it has to be in certain forms, for us to react. A lot of foods listed do have sulfite - grapes for instance - but it takes quite a few grapes to set me off. Gelatin, on the other hand, triggers my reactions - upset stomach, then gastric reflux, leading to tachycardia - if I eat a small serving. I even have problems with injected medications with gelatin - very small amounts.
Some people are sensitive to sulfites in lotions, detergents, etc. There's a link to housemouse's website on http://www.learningtarget.com/nosulfites/index.htm Housemouse has quite a story about
her sulfite skin problems. The no sulfite website is a free book that shows you how to calculate how much sulfite is in different foods and beverages.
But first things first. Lets find out if you do have an allergy.