How soon following an Anaphylactic Shock should I feel well again?

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

GemmaP
New Member


Date Joined Jun 2012
Total Posts : 1
   Posted 6/16/2012 2:41 AM (GMT -6)   
I work in Veterinary Practice and I have alway been fortunate to be well and not had any problems (apart from the odd bite and scratch).
On tuesday I was vaccinating a puppy which wriggled and I accidentally injected a v minute amount of the dog vaccine.(approx 11.30am) Within about 3-4 minutes I felt dizzy and sickly, my tongue was slightly swollen I think and my throat hurt. I was told to sit and initially thought this was more pyschogenic. I didnt feel better at all on sitting or lying and it was shortly after taken to the hospital, which is literally across the road. By the time I arrived I was barely conscious and was severely bradycardic and hypotensive (my blood pressure dropping to approx 44/99 and heart rate at 33bpm) both way below my normal. I have always more been on higher end of normal than low. The doctors contacted the poisons unit initially fearing it was the vaccine however no known problems have ever been reported like this other than localised pain following injection. An hour passed.
I was started on a rapid intravenous drip, Oxygen and given intravenous adrenaline, chlorphenamine (piriton), Cortisone and a dorbutamine. Within an hour was able to vocalise again albeit slurring my word and I still felt dizzy.
By 5.30pm I was almost recovered other feeling extremely tired so the doctors decided to send me home.
I have been given no information, or follow ups (they said my bloods were consistent with anaphylaxis) and told to avoid vaccines. My employers had already done a risk assessment banning me from going anywhere nr anyway.

I am able to work but I still feel weak and tired, I have been having disturbed sleep and seem to be really jolly and happy to be alive one minute and then feeling miserable the next.
I dont know what is normal since I have never had this and was wondering from other people whether following such a dramatic event how long I should wait to see if I become normal again.
Is it natural to be feeling so tired.. and if so how long till I feel my old self again.
Also should I get an epipen even if I can avoid exposure.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

couchtater
Elite Member


Date Joined Jul 2009
Total Posts : 14475
   Posted 6/17/2012 2:14 PM (GMT -6)   
After my reaction and 3 hours in the ER (IV Benadryl and steriods) I kept feeling some left over symptoms. Maybe you're still having some reactions?

I think it lasted for about two weeks for me.......
Joy

drb1966
New Member


Date Joined Jun 2012
Total Posts : 4
   Posted 6/21/2012 10:47 PM (GMT -6)   
I have had a couple of reactions that, thankfully, had quick medical intervention and didnt go as far as yours. However, it still took several days to a week for my energy level to balance out. I would also agree, especially in this situation, be in contact with and follow up with your physician until you are back on your feet.

Hope you bounce back quickly,
Donna

Hasan85
New Member


Date Joined Dec 2012
Total Posts : 2
   Posted 12/27/2012 10:37 PM (GMT -6)   
Hello I am hoping someone could please elaborate on this subject. I has anaphylactic shock 5 weeks ago and still have some symptoms. I feel pressure in my chest, rapid heart rate from time to time, and I feel like my mind races during this time. I feel significantly better but I am wondering how it would be before I feel better. I could elaborate more on various symptoms I had but I am very eager to get recovered soon.

Chartreux
Veteran Member


Date Joined Aug 2006
Total Posts : 9661
   Posted 12/28/2012 10:08 AM (GMT -6)   
GemmaP and Hasan85, you both need to follow up with your pcp or allergy doctors, make sure they know what you had the anaphylasis reactions to so it can be placed in your medical history and make a list at home on your own computer what your allergic to and look into getting a medic alert bracelet... So very sorry this happened to you, sure hope your doing better soon, recovery can be very different with each reaction, however you should at very least follow up with your regular doctors. You both might be experiencing minor after post reactions and may need further antihistamines, somethings can stay in your body longer than expected, so please get into your doctors offices...
Sure hope your both doing better soon, many well wishes to you and keep us posted...
**********************************************
* So many dx's I could write a book* "It would be nice if we could use the edit button in real life"...
********>^..^<********>^..^<*******

Hasan85
New Member


Date Joined Dec 2012
Total Posts : 2
   Posted 12/28/2012 11:26 PM (GMT -6)   
I have followed up with my doctors and have undergone many different tests. We identified that fire ants are the reason for my anaphylaxis and we've set up a plan to make me immune with vaccinations. Days following the anaphylaxis i had, rapid heart rate, high blood pressure, burning feeling in my chest, poor appetite, had to have cold air on at all times, and was sensitive to light and noise. In addition to this i had pins and needles over my back and would get several panic attacks per day even though i never had history of this stuff before. Although most of these symptoms have gone away what I am left with is the occasional chest pain in the morning/afternoons and rapid heart rate. This episode may last for 30-45 minutes and leave me tired. Stress test and other physical exams have cleared me to be good

One thing i've identified that i cannot put my finger on is that i feel very well in the evenings and on coolder days, and tend to feel uneasy and have more of these symptoms on a warmer day. These things are fading away but still around. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and can share further info. I was told the recovery would take time, but no specifics.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

couchtater
Elite Member


Date Joined Jul 2009
Total Posts : 14475
   Posted 12/29/2012 3:39 PM (GMT -6)   
My reaction was to penicillian (sp?). After the ER I had to take visteril for several weeks until all of the medication was out of my system.
Heat did make me it more.
Joy
Lupus, Fibromyalgia, Glaucoma, Asthma, Hypothyriodism, Sleep Apnea, Degenerative Disk and Facet Disease, and Allergies

When life throws you lemons....
Pick them up and throw them right back at them! :))
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Monday, April 23, 2018 11:10 PM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 2,954,897 posts in 324,162 threads.
View Active Threads


Who's Online
This forum has 162193 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Richard_NZ.
227 Guest(s), 4 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Tim G, Crackerjack4u, Stray, kit49