Sulfites and alcohol

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Claireyy
New Member


Date Joined Jul 2012
Total Posts : 2
   Posted 7/14/2012 8:18 AM (GMT -6)   
I know most alcohol and mixers have sulfites, but what is one that has a low ppm? I'm having vodka cranberry atm and I can only really tolerate a few before I get hives

going on holiday soon and don't wanna have to avoid too much

Thanks.

Alcie
Veteran Member


Date Joined Oct 2009
Total Posts : 5029
   Posted 7/14/2012 10:38 AM (GMT -6)   
Your mixer is the sulfite culprit in that drink.  It's full of sugars, probably corn syrup and other corn sugars.  If you have true sulfite "allergy," not the more common "sensitivity,"  You could react to only 1 drink.
 
Are you sure you have a sulfite allergy?  Have you seen an allergist, done food challenge testing, keeping a journal?  Have you tried the mixer without the vodka?  I actually wouldn't try drinking the mixer or any other food testing except under a doctor's supervision.  Getting hives is a serious reaction.  Your doctor might want you to have an epi pen on hand, maybe 2 of them, as 1 only lasts briefly.
 
Meantime, do you really have to drink to have fun and relax on your holiday?  Even some brands of mineral water are sulfited (see google), so maybe stick to fresh squeezed orange juice.  Stay far away from any drink, soft or otherwise, that has lemon juice unless you see the fresh lemon.  Bottled lemon juice is very high in sulfite.  Frozen lemon juice is clean.  While you're avoiding drinks, I'd also research foods you might try where you are going.
 
There is a book available that lists sulfite content of specific brands of foods, drinks, medicines, etc.  It's not free, but it's the only resource I know of with this research.  http://www.learningtarget.com/nosulfites/index.htm.  I have no affiliation with the author, but I did get the book after reading the free online book over and over and learning a lot.  My reaction to too much sulfite is life-threatening, and I have made good use of the tables in the book to avoid reactions.

Claireyy
New Member


Date Joined Jul 2012
Total Posts : 2
   Posted 7/14/2012 10:47 AM (GMT -6)   
I hate to say it, but I'm 23, I cannot go on holiday and enjoy myself with mineral water, especially as thats more expensive...I have a sulfite allergy, i react to certain bananas (not a banana allergy) my lips tingle and I have difficulty breathing, I wheezed amd couldnt breathe on a cake that I realised had sulfites, even though it was free from wheat etc, which I also cannot have...as well as having to heat up vicks as I couldnt inhale it from the tub as I was so blocked up, I was on my last holiday and I was fine with shots but as soon as I had a shot in a drink I hived up over most of my body, I cant have any alcohol except vodka,which is also derived from corn obv...but I dont know if its the mixer or alcohol thats affecting me, I cant use sls as it irritates me, I had a makeup reaction so I'm very sensitive to some makeups and most facewashes and shampoos etc...and yes, the doctors know this, they are sending me to a dermatologist in a few weeks, but that is all they have done, they dont test for sulfite allergies as the uk dont give a crap about sulfite allergies...I just want help with alcohol, not soft drinks, but thanks.

Alcie
Veteran Member


Date Joined Oct 2009
Total Posts : 5029
   Posted 7/14/2012 6:39 PM (GMT -6)   
Sorry, I am older and never did drink much.  http://allergysulfiteinwater.com/  lists the amount in the different brands of mineral water.  A little fresh lemon juice makes it into a clean mixer.
 
I'm glad to read that you have seen doctors.  Most of them here in the states are oblivious of sulfite problems too. But there are exceptions.
 
I would suggest not using bottled mixers because they're all probably going to set off your reaction.  Orange juice, if you don't react to that, might be a substitute.  I would only use refrigerated or fresh juices.  Looking through my book - a few years old - you ought to be OK with scotch, whiskey (without carmel color), rum, gin, club soda, Schweppes Ginger Ale, sparkling apple cider without preservatives.  There are extremely high amounts of sulfite, thousands of micrograms per serving, in margarita mixes, daiquiri mixes, pina colada and sweet and sour mixes.
 
http://www.housemouse.com/sulfites.htm  Housemouse's story of skin problems from sulfites and what products she has found to be helpful is a good reference for people with true allergy.
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Sunday, September 23, 2018 9:02 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,005,832 posts in 329,268 threads.
View Active Threads


Who's Online
This forum has 161807 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Wimp7755.
247 Guest(s), 11 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
mirowpl, mattamx, Kent M., BossJ, MG0351, pasayten, browntrout, InTheShop, franko63, (Seashell), iPoop