Mold and pollen in furniture

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

ittleblu
New Member


Date Joined Aug 2013
Total Posts : 3
   Posted 8/20/2013 9:08 AM (GMT -6)   
This is probably an unusual question, but please bear with me.

A relative is pressuring me to take a sofa chair that was left outside and exposed to the elements for at least five months. He picked it up somewhere in good condition but left it on the back of his flatbed trailer for months. He had the top of the chair covered with a water resistant material, but the sides were exposed. He lives in the woods and so the chair was outside, exposed to pollen and mold.

He recently cleaned the chair with some type of detergent (don't know if he used bleach). Then he had some high powered fan blowing on it for several hours to dry it off. He left it outside covered overnight.

Now he is trying to get me and other family members to take this chair. He claims it's in good shape and doesn't have mold or pollen (because he cleaned it). But it would seem like the inside could have mold even if the outside doesn't. We can't see the inside without tearing the chair apart.

Since many of us are allergic to pollens and mold, wouldn't it be stupid to bring this chair into our house? Or can pollens and mold be cleaned and removed?

Thanks

jujub
Forum Moderator


Date Joined Mar 2003
Total Posts : 10407
   Posted 8/20/2013 10:06 AM (GMT -6)   
I'm allergic to mold. I wouldn't touch that chair for ten thousand dollars, much less bring it into my house. I'm sure it's fine for someone without serious allergies, though.
Ulcerative colitis diagnosed in 2001; symptoms as early as 1992. Currently in 7th year of remission with Remicade.
Inflammatory osteoarthritis; osteonecrosis from steroids
Grave's disease successfully treated with radioactive iodine and now on Levothyroxine.
Type II diabetes induced by steroids.
Meds: Remicade, Colazal, Levothyroxine, Mobic, Metformin

Moderator, thyroid forum

JaSanne
Veteran Member


Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 2082
   Posted 8/20/2013 10:26 AM (GMT -6)   
It could have more than mold. It could have any number of insects, mice, fleas, etc. Run awaaayyy!

P.S. I'm from the Crohn's forum, but my daughter has severe asthma and allergies. My parents recently died and we weren't able to take even a wooden furniture piece because the humidity levels in their closed up house became so high this summer that it mildewed and became too musty for us to think about. Other family members could use products to clean with that we can't, so they were able to save it. Thankfully most everything else was moved before the mildew issue happened but I've only been able to keep glassware that could be thoroughly washed.

If it's so good, why doesn't he keep it? :-)
54 yr. old. Ileocolitis since early teens. Hemicolectomy-left side in 2001. Severe chronic pain due to spinal chord injury, rotator cuff injuries, enteropathic arthritis. History of endometriosis. Depression.

Lanie G
Forum Moderator


Date Joined Nov 2006
Total Posts : 6240
   Posted 8/20/2013 12:18 PM (GMT -6)   
I wouldn't have it in my house either. I only have seasonal allergies but from your description of the chair (and even how your relative cleaned it), there are too many possibilities of 'things' that will come with that chair into your home!
Lanie

diabetes moderator
diabetes type 2 controlled so far by diet and exercise
very low carb way of eating

ittleblu
New Member


Date Joined Aug 2013
Total Posts : 3
   Posted 8/21/2013 11:02 AM (GMT -6)   
Thanks to everyone who replied. I feel a lot better about saying NO now. Some of us wondered if maybe we were being too uptight about the situation.

Dred
Regular Member


Date Joined Oct 2013
Total Posts : 48
   Posted 11/10/2013 8:38 PM (GMT -6)   
Me too... no way with the chair which likely to have molds. Better to take precautionary measures than be sorry spending too much with medicines if you're sick already. Some even uses purifiers just to clean their surroundings and areas, using it gives you higher risk of getting allergies ... i hope you said no to your mum already? :)
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Thursday, June 21, 2018 8:46 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 2,974,018 posts in 326,152 threads.
View Active Threads


Who's Online
This forum has 161227 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, lennep123.
425 Guest(s), 10 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
ezhoe, imagardener2, Kent M., SlappyHappy, GoBucks, torontolyme, RobLee, Old Mike, OriolCarol, Supportive Daughter