Yes. There are SO2, -SO3, and so forth. And they are different from -SO4, sulfates, which we need!
The free e-book explains the chemistry.
When reading lists of foods with sulfites you will find many are just copies of other lists. The thing to understand is that most people with sulfite intolerance or even sulfite allergy can tolerate some. It's not usually like a peanut allergy. The book explains how to calculate your level of tolerance.
My tolerance is about
2000 micrograms. That's not especially low as others have much lower tolerances. I can have a glass of my homemade wine, but not the commercial stuff with sulfite added to stop the yeast and sterilize against bacteria. It's not hard to make wine! I just get a 6 gallon bucket of grape juice and put a plastic tube from the pressure stopper into a bottle of water for a few weeks to let out the CO2 qnd not allow oxygen to get in! (Actually, first I
open the bucket and add 2 1/2 lbs sugar (cane only!) because I like sweet wine.) Then, after it's done working, I siphon it into any screw-top glass bottle or even plastic bottle. Even a milk bottle will do in a pinch.
I can have 1 beer but not 2. I can have a can of soda, but not 2. I can't eat beef or pork at all. I can have chicken or fish, most vegetables, even onions, but not onion soup.
The things to mainly avoid are the processed foods, deli meats, and my much-loved spare ribs.
Oh, well. Keep a food journal and figure out what YOU tolerate, even if you find it's not really sulfites. It's possible to be intolerant to other things and more than 1 thing at a time. I don't tolerate a few other things not related.