I don't read the forums every day. This time of year is so busy, and I'm no professional or anything, just a grandma looking for things that will help me too.
So, how bad is the milk allergy? Is it like peanut, where the slightest trace sets you off? Or is it a matter of amount, like sulfite is for most of us? It makes a huge difference. A lot of medicines have lactose or other milk-related ingredients in small amounts.
A good reference for figuring out your sulfite tolerance is www.learningtarget.com/nosulfites/index.htm
I've done tolerance testing for wheat and my allergist has her patients do it for milk also. If you want to figure out your level of tolerance:
Start with 1 tsp milk. Wait 20 or 30 minutes. If no reaction, take 2 tsp and wait again. If no reaction take 4 tsp and wait. Then 8, and finally 16. Then stop.
This should really be done in the allergist's office for safety reasons. They have epi-pens and Benadryl on hand. Since you have a true allergy, you should be carrying those things all the time too.
I get to have about
a slice of bread a week, but I'm fine with oatmeal. I tolerate about
2000mcg sulfite a day, more if I've been avoiding it religiously. For my tachycardia reaction I carry a couple of heart meds to take if Valsalva maneuver doesn't work.
Look up a lot of your questions in the search box at the top of the page - very helpful!