Sulfite/Sulphite Detox

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

New Member

Date Joined Apr 2016
Total Posts : 2
   Posted 4/7/2016 4:29 PM (GMT -6)   
Hi, I am about 9 weeks in to a detox/healing crisis after having eliminated sulphites. Have experienced periods of feeling well, alternating with flu like symptoms, brain fog and exhaustion. Skin eruptions have been a constant....worse sometimes than others. Epsom salt baths help a lot. I eat a lot of chickpeas for molybdenum, take a good quality probiotic and b vitamins. I know this is going to take a while, as I had accumulated quite a toxic load (15+) years . Anyone have similar experience? Or have ideas regarding how long this might last? Am looking forward to feeling better.

Veteran Member

Date Joined Oct 2009
Total Posts : 5029
   Posted 4/8/2016 8:59 AM (GMT -6)   
What sort of place are you going to that has told you that you have accumulated sulfites? Have you been tested for sulfite oxidase deficiency? Generally we recover from an "overdose" quickly by just eliminating all sources of sulfites.

Do you have the sulfite allergy or the sensitivity? Since you mentioned skin problems, I would guess true allergy. Housemouse has a good story of her skin, among many other problems and how she found the cause was sulfites. <url></url>

Another good source, with a page on calculating your tolerance, is <url></url>

I'm not sure why it is "going to take a while." I have heard of becoming more sensitive/allergic to sulfites, but not to "accumulating" the actual sulfites, which should be removed in the urine. I would recommend looking into ALL the foods you consume, detergents, soaps, lotions and everything you touch to see if you are still using sulfite-laden products. Housemouse has lots of suggestions for that.

New Member

Date Joined Apr 2016
Total Posts : 2
   Posted 4/8/2016 9:13 AM (GMT -6)   
You are spot on in your comments, Alcie. I haven't actually been back to the allergist since figuring out (on my own) about the sulfites. He tested for every food imaginable (all negative) and never mentioned sulfite as a possibility, even though I have asthma and was having significant skin eruptions, breathing issues, diarrhea, etc. Had a significant reaction to lime juice (the kind in the plastic lime) and finally figured it out and researched on my own, as I was recovering from leg surgery and had a lot of time on my hands. Time for me to go back to the doctor, even though I'm a bit miffed at him. Could be something else happening. However, I should add that I am in Canada, and although the doctor visit is free, I will likely have to wait 3 to 4 months to get an I want to be as proactive and healthy as possible in the meantime. Thanks.

Post Edited (lplancke) : 4/8/2016 8:17:08 AM (GMT-5)

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Monday, September 24, 2018 10:48 PM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,006,327 posts in 329,326 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161827 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, a8166008.
177 Guest(s), 2 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
sebreg, jwebb