Sulphite Intolerance Help!!

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

TF2016
New Member


Date Joined Oct 2016
Total Posts : 2
   Posted 10/14/2016 7:13 AM (GMT -7)   
Hi all, I'm new to the forums and have been reading some of the many posts on here (and elsewhere) regarding Sulphites. I'm getting very confused and was hoping I may be able to get some help.

My 20month old has been having reactions since about April. We know he is allergic to lentils (that's easy to avoid) and the consultant suggested Sulphites and sent me off to do some research. I *think* it is sulphites but I'm not sure, it certainly seems to be getting worse and more often.

His reactions have ALWAYS happened at meal times (80% lunchtime). It starts with a cough which turns into gagging (I'm guessing he has irritation and/or swelling in his throat), he goes very pale, sounds very chesty and the his face comes out in hives, eyes water. Depending on how severe it is, he sometimes gets swelling of lips.

I've been trying to test some foods and he seems OK in terms of onion, cheese, eggs, bread although had a very mild reaction today at lunch to a cheese sandwich. It's very difficult as hell have a meal one day and be fine and yet the exact same meal will cause a reaction the next day. He always seems to have cold like symptoms and is always tired so maybe they do have an effect but not enough to cause a reaction?

He had a reaction to mushrooms (unsure if they contain sulphites? One website says they do) and Passata (apparently citric acid is sulphited?).

I've cut the obviously labeled sulphites out but I think I'm going to have to go further but I'm struggling to get my head around all the information? Is bread a culprit? What about Pasta? One website mentioned mushrooms, onion, garlic, broccoli, cauliflower, leeks, blueberries, strawberries?

I thought he was reacting at time of ingestion or close to but if it is sulphites he has had dried apricots and not reacted straight away? He's had pretty much daily reactions lately so it's difficult to determine!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Alcie
Veteran Member


Date Joined Oct 2009
Total Posts : 4931
   Posted 10/15/2016 12:15 PM (GMT -7)   
Hi TF and welcome to the forum.

So tough to have a problem with a little one. They can't tell you when it starts hurting and where the pain is.

Have you seen an allergist or only a pediatrician?

#1 and possibly life threatening: If your son is allergic to lentils stay far away from all other legumes like peanuts. Don't do any testing for this at home. Has he ever had peanut butter? If not don't give it to him. This true allergy should only be checked out by an allergist!

I am curious about the non-reaction to dried apricots. What did the label say? If he really is allergic to sulfites he should have reacted unless there was a different preservative. I wonder if sulfites really are the triggers. There are so many other things in the foods you mentioned.

The only way to determine food sensitivities that don't cause hives or throat closing is keeping a food diary. You have to include everything he drinks and all medicines too. There are loads of posts on food diary - see the search box at the top of the page.

When you have even a short list of for sure culprits put the into google with the term food allergies or food sensitivities. See if the lists you get back sounds right. You may be looking at something completely different or a combination of sensitivities.

Citric acid made from fruits should be clean, but some of it may be made from corn. While corn is clean, things processed from it are often sulfited.

I would have the child tested for whatever is possible. Gluten would be one of the first things I would be concerned with. Tests for this are not fun, but you need to know if he has celiac disease.

Have you done skin prick testing? That is the best test for most common foods. The blood tests are still not highly reliable as far as I know, but maybe they've gotten better. Mine showed peanuts, to which I do not react at all.

Sulfite intolerance is not like peanut allergy. If you are sensitive you have to figure out your level of tolerance. But that's for a future lesson. First find the culprit!

Best wishes.

TF2016
New Member


Date Joined Oct 2016
Total Posts : 2
   Posted 10/16/2016 11:22 AM (GMT -7)   
Hi Alcie,

Thanks for your response!

It was an allergist we saw and he had a skin prick test for hazelnuts, peanuts and lentils. We couldnt test more as he wasnt happy that day anyway and was only 16months at the time. He was only positive for lentils but he had never had peanuts before so doctor was happy for him to try them... He didnt react with peanut butter when we tried. He has also had meals with peas and beans and been OK but then others where he has reacted so not sure....

The allergist was happy he was OK with gluten/wheat, dairy, fish and some of the other main allergens as at the time, he had eaten meals with these in and not reacted. Its just the reactions seem to be progressing. Up until this week he has been fine with boiled eggs and toast... He has reacted the last couple of days.

We have another appt in Nov, Im tempted to ask for another testing and just test everything to be on the safe side!

Its possible the dried apricots had a different perservative, they were specially for children. Ive tried searching for them online but cant find them so will have to wait until I have gone back to cafe.
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Thursday, December 14, 2017 8:22 AM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,905,305 posts in 318,851 threads.
View Active Threads


Who's Online
This forum has 158208 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Droid1.
329 Guest(s), 11 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Spoff, Lapis_29, Kct, Aset28, AnxietyKelller, nepol, OriolCarol, Szabo246, UCer23, momem3, GiGi2 five