New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

New Member

Date Joined Nov 2006
Total Posts : 2
   Posted 11/25/2006 11:36 PM (GMT -6)   
Here's my story, I have severe allergies to dust mites and cats. I am a recent college grad and have recently moved out to my own apartment, my allergies have not been a problem there. My question is regarding my allergies to parents home. My allergies are terrible there. I get very wheezy with 12-24 hours and my nose starts to run.

However, my parents house is a lot cleaner than my current apartment as I don't clean all that often. Neither place has a cat and both have hardwood floors. I would say my apartment is much dustier.

My parents have ripped up the carpet and gone to hardwood floor to try and remedy my allergies. But even during a 2 night stay over Thanksgiving I was having bad asthma symptoms.

What could I be allergic to at my house? Are there any "sensors" that could help me spot what is different in the air there? This information could be very valuable for me in the future. Thanks for any insight.-Curtis

Regular Member

Date Joined Nov 2006
Total Posts : 27
   Posted 11/25/2006 6:45 PM (GMT -6)   
Do they have an old furnace? The one we have has been a trigger for me. Also candles, perfume, fireplaces all mess with me. K

Elite Member

Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 23551
   Posted 11/25/2006 6:48 PM (GMT -6)   
Do they have the furnace on higher then your own apartment? When was the last time they clean their ducts? A house may appear cleaner but that is not always the case. I knew this one lady that kept her house spotless and I mean spotless....she then had her ducts cleaned because she and her family were suffering from breathing troubles. It turned out that the last time the ducts were cleaned was over 15 years ago. That's quite some time to have the dust gather. She was shocked to discover how much dust and dirt had accumulated. I don't know if this is the case with your parents house or not but it's just a suggestion.

Oh and btw, Welcome to Healingwell :)
Uc(Left-sided) since 1992 - Colazal, 6MP, Biotin, Forvia
Secondary Raynauds Syndrome since 2004 -Meds - Norvasc...Fibromyalgia since 2006
Co-mod for Ulcerative Colitis.....Moderator for Allergies/Asthma
Help others such as yourself by donating to Healingwell, every penny counts!


Regular Member

Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 257
   Posted 11/27/2006 3:43 PM (GMT -6)   
Does your parents have a HEPA filter on their a/c & furnace? This keeps 99.9% of allergens contained. Also, how old is your parents' house & your apt? If the house is a lot older, there maybe mold & meldew trapped inside the insulation that your parents may not be aware of (not saying it is, just possibility), especially if there was ever a water leak in the house. Does your parents have wallpaper? This can cause allergens between the paper & wall. The ALA has several info brochures which may help you determine the allergen causing problems.

Good luck!

Regular Member

Date Joined Oct 2006
Total Posts : 178
   Posted 11/28/2006 2:42 PM (GMT -6)   
could be mold. Old furniture or curtains. Or dust.
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Monday, August 20, 2018 12:34 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 2,994,592 posts in 328,148 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161286 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Courtz89.
231 Guest(s), 1 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details