Hi, Thank you. I'm glad to be here.
Well, its weird, when my hives first began I wasnt able to associate the outbreaks with any level of stess or anxiety (this was about 10 months ago, beginning in FEB). They just appeared one day on my face and then persisted to continue for the following 4 months (until end of May, entire body on and off). Then they dissapeared for about 2 months, but then I had the worst out break ever end of July/beg of August. It was really bad. I went to the ER and they have me a shot of something. Since then, (past 4 months Aug- now), I'm easily able to associate the outbreaks with stress or anxiety since they always occur right after. I was put on several anthistamines including zyrtec, atarx etc since the beginning, but nothing ever helped so I gave up on them a long time ago. Also, during these past 4 months, ever since the worst out break, I dont break out on my body anymore, its always my face and sometimes my arms/shoulder/chest area. Ive had several blood tests as well and everything is normal.
During my outbreaks, especially the severe ones, like i posted in my original comments, I tend to get very weak and hot, almost as if I'm sick and I have a fever. Motrin as far as I know DOES NOT have an antihistamine, its ibuprofen and its an anti-inflammatory. My doctor was shocked because he said MOTRIN and similar drugs will make matters worse for most people with hives. I also havent been able to associate my hives with any particular food or allergen. They would just 'happen' except now they happen under stress and anxiety. Also, at one point early on, my palms and soles of my feet would break out and these were the most irriating. They would itch and burn and almost turn into blisters. Waking up in the middle of the night was a common thing.
This hives ordeal has become such a pest. Now, I have my life under a microscope examining everything.
Here are some other notes to consider.
skin tests show that I am a faily allergic person. cats, certani trees, cashwes, etc.
- UTI symptons around the time I had my first hive outbreaks. Urinalysis showed everything was normal, Levaquin solved the problem, till this day I dont know if it was a UTI or what. I will still sometimes get symptons here and there, but no where near the same pain level as the initial one. No physical symptons at all. I've been tested and cleared for any STD.
- Constipation - recently taking notice of this. Not on any current medications.
-puffy under the eyes, tenderness
- some fatigue, feel sluggish throughout day even though i get adequate sleep.
- chapped/dry lips/dry skin
- scalp has itched too at times
- I have been getting cold sores(lips) since I was younger. Doc told me hepatitus virus can be a factor maybe. I havent gotten any cold sores throughout this hives ordeal though.
Thats all i can think of for now. Other things I should mention are that I am 24 years old, been healthy/active/ in shape my entire life, except for knee surgery 3 years ago (torn ACL from bball). When this all started I was under a lot of stress due to a new job and studying for the LSAT (law school admission test).
Anyway, thats pretty much all the info I have for now. I would love to hear peoples comments and if there is actually anyone out there who has been able to associate their hives breakouts with levels of stress/anxiety/nervousness etc.
Post Edited (ihatehives) : 12/1/2006 4:55:36 PM (GMT-7)