I've had some symptoms for around 1 year now and they are constantly annoying me, to the point that I miss a lot of work and sometimes college.
Since March 2006 I developed a symptom where I would get thick post nasal drip but my nose was quite clear at this point. After a couple months it then affected my nose and it became inflammed and bleeds sometimes. I don't have any symptoms like itchy eyes, throat, constant sneezing and the post nasal drip is thick, sometimes discoloured if it has been sitting there for a while.
The biggest problem I have is when it dries up and get logded somewhere between top of throat and nose. One sneeze will usually dislodge it then I will get a soar throat quickly unless its removed by either snorting and hacking. Once it moves it usually lands what it feels like my wind pipe, then I'm trying to gag and cough it up. Its a weird thing... Its generally very sticky, flat (like size of little finger nail) discoloured and sometimes tinted with a bit of blood. I get these things stuck around 2-3 times a day and its so annoying because unless I try and clear it my throat will tend to get quite sore. After its cleared I feel a bit better.
- Nasonex helps a bit wit post nasal drip and clear nose, but not that good
- When I go on antibiotics like amoxicillin or flagyl for another reason, the post nasal drip stops and I stop gagging on these things (snot?) all the time. This typically gives me relief for about 1-4 weeks.
- Never have it run out front of nose but always the back and down the throat
- don't sneeze often, but when I do rather than things being forced out of my nose, it gets forced down my throat instead. So I begin to feel like im choking on whatever is there.
- I feel like there is pressure on my left Maxillary sinus. Like a numbness/pressure feeling like its literally being pumped up with air or fluid.
Ive been to the doctors over and over again but they said i'm going to have to wait around 1-2 years to see an ENT doctor! (UK NHS) because I think hes put my on low priority status. I thought about asking the doctor to send off a sample after I hack/cough these things out of my throat (from my nose). But think he might just think its stupid. He clearly doesn't believe I got an infection, but i'm not too sure.
This is seriously affecting my life in many ways. Does it sound like an infection? I eat a mostly plant based diet, fruit, veggies, nuts, beans, lean meat, fish etc... no processed foods. I wish this would go away, I really take good care of my health otherwise.
I've had no real good investigation except regular routine blood tests which come back normal.