Food Allergy & Regular Allergy Meds

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Regular Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 48
   Posted 9/24/2007 9:23 PM (GMT -6)   
Hi guys!
I know I must be getting a bit annoying with all of my random questions on these boards ... but does anyone with FOOD allergies know if the regular over the counter allergy meds such as benadryl, piriton etc are of any assistance atall? I know I could just call my pharmacist and ask but I get kind of embarrassed & nervous and feel silly talking to strangers over the phone ... incase it sounds like a real dumb question so thought I would try here first to see if anyone can help with my query ...
And I still feel dumb and stupid asking on here but atleast I can't be seen or heard eyes
Many thanks, Tizz :-)

Regular Member

Date Joined Sep 2007
Total Posts : 49
   Posted 9/26/2007 9:32 PM (GMT -6)   
Hi Tizz,

My son is 4 and was born with severe food allergies, such as wheat, eggs, beans, tree nuts. and peanuts. I am not sure if I understand your question about the benedryl. Benedryl does help to stop a reaction after a person eats an allergic food. For instance, if my son where to eat a wheat cracker, then he would start vomiting and breaking out in a rash. At that time I would give him the benedryl and the reaction would over a couple hours times go away. However, he can not take benedryl to prevent an allergy attack from the crackers. If you are severely allergic to a food, such as nuts, etc, then you should see a doctor for a epipen prescription. We carry one for my son. Let me know if I could help anymore.

Regular Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 48
   Posted 9/27/2007 6:26 AM (GMT -6)   


Thanks for that. Sorry I didn't make myself clearer ... but your response has pretty much answered my question. Most of the foods I'm allergic to I don't have an overly severe reaction to except for an upset tummy. Often my face will burn up for hours after eating something I shouldn't have so I feel really hot and uncomfortable. I had been wondering if allergy meds would help ease that when it happens. I am avoiding everything I'm allergic too but still get my days where some new aggravation will come along or I've missed spotting an ingredient in something I'm supposed to avoid. It does sound like for these lesser reactions, having something like benadryl in for emergencies would be handy ...

Thanks for your help :-)


Veteran Member

Date Joined May 2005
Total Posts : 4219
   Posted 10/10/2007 11:37 PM (GMT -6)   
Hi Tizz I have red dye 40 allergy and my doctor has me taking dye free benadryl when I accidently have some. I usually take 2 and it will stop the itching and put the fire out. But it also knocks me out. If I HAVE to stay awake (like to drive) I will take a claritan and it well help the reaction from getting worse but not really do as much good as the benadryl. I did ask my pharmacist and she said that Benadryl is what you should take when it is a non-life threatening reaction. I guess a doctor can prescribe prescription strength too or recommend you take more than the over counter dose. I wouldn't try that on your own though.
25 Year old married female.  Diagnosed w/ CD 2 years ago, IBS for over 10 years before that, which was probably the CD.
I started getting a ton of junkmail after putting my myspace profile link on here.  Im taking it off but if you want to contact me just email me and Ill give you a link to my myspace.  Sorry!

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Monday, August 20, 2018 5:28 PM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 2,994,874 posts in 328,172 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161302 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, BangedUp.
309 Guest(s), 13 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
wibblypig, sharpcut, Ewok89, physedgirl09, cashlessclay, Cmburks, RandyJoe, Hummingbird22, Saipan Paradise, kit49, RunJerRun, bubbatc, borborygmi