I'm somewhat new to the whole sulfite allergy thing - five months now. It's been the most recent discovery in a series of 'what's wrong with me now' revelations, but I'm crossing my fingers that it will be the last of them. I look forward to learning from everybody here! I'm sure I already have from some of you. I've been haunting every sulfite- free place I can find, at this point, to try and get a handle on this!
My initial reactions involve vertigo, cognitive impairment, nausea, and so on. Onset is less than 20 minutes after ingestion or inhalation. I only seem to get hives when I've been getting a higher sulfite load for a few days in a row, and then it will get worse and worse until the smallest amount can set off hives. I have no idea if that means this is a sensitivity or an allergy, at this point.
I also have Celiac Disease and if I get gluten contamination, my sulfite tolerance drops like a stone. I had my molybdenum levels tested once (not the greatest test, admittedly), and I had undetectable levels after getting gluten cc. So I assume that my absorption is affected and therefore my sulfite oxidase levels. In this case, it only seems to affect the initial symptoms of vertigo and such, not the hives.
I'm looking back and seeing a lot of sulfite signs I wish I could have known about
when I was younger. I imagine a lot of people here have that. This can't be an easy allergy to figure out unless one reacts to a really obvious sulfite source right away, yeah?
I've hated high sulfite foods my entire life - dried fruit, wine, etc... The one time I actually had a few glasses of wine, years ago, I was sick for well over a week. It's something that makes me realize how lucky I've been when I really think about
it. At the time, everyone assumed I just got really drunk, really fast, because my initial reactions mimic intoxication so much. So I was tucked away in a bed and left alone the rest of the night.
Thank god I don't have hives and breathing issues, or I don't think I would have been there when they came to check on me the next morning.
There's lots of other things to look back on and wonder about
. No idea how to deal with them now, though. I always seemed to have side affects to any medication I took and tried to avoid meds as much as possible. I have a dozen allergies to medicine listed, but after examining that recently, I realized that all of these medications ALSO have sulfites in them, so I have no idea now if it was sulfites or the medication that I reacted to originally. No real desire to test it out, but at the same time, it would still be nice to know.
Currently, I react to sulfa drugs, to sulfites, and to foods naturally higher in sulfites or sulfur oxides (I think that's the right term? Unsure). I'm also get neurological damage after ingesting even a tiny bit of gluten contamination and I have a few other allergies as well that I have to avoid (dairy, eggs, soy, coffee, and sugarcane, mostly).
So as you can imagine, I don't eat out and I cook everything from scratch now. And I'm not that great a cook, so my tongue and stomach complain a lot, LOL. I am hoping to find some people who have some utterly amazing recipes for sulfite free stuff...that is such a simple recipe, a monkey could do it. ;-)
Again, looking forward to getting you know you all.