How to help neighbour...

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Regular Member

Date Joined Jan 2005
Total Posts : 140
   Posted 10/7/2011 8:16 PM (GMT -6)   
I grew up down the street from a couple I call Granny & Granddad. They are not my grandparents but growing up I spent a lot of time at their house visiting my friend, their granddaughter, who lived with them. So their names just stuck.

I haven't seen them as often as I would like in recent years but I hear from their granddaughter that they're not doing very well. Granddad has what the family thinks in dementia. He doesn't remember how the TV works, how to clean himself after using the washroom or who his great grandkids are, etc. Granny is too scared to leave him alone and doesn't leave the house anymore. My friend says that when she visits Granny, she cries.

Their family doctor has applied for them to get help from a government program but nothing has come of it. This couple has 6 children and 6 grandkids, and everyone is shrugging their shoulders at the situation. One of the sons does live with them but it sounds like he is overwhelmed.

I want to help. I want to go down to the local office and report what's going on. It's ridiculous to me that 2 people who gave so much to their family in their prime are being left to live like this.

What can I do?

Elite Member

Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 23551
   Posted 10/7/2011 9:25 PM (GMT -6)   
That is so sweet that you want to help this couple! I applaud you for that :) Is there anyway for your friend, the grand daughter, to ask about to see if the family is willing to help out? I mean you can always go over there and offer help as much as you can but ultimately it is up to the family to do something about it. Even though you grew up down the street from them, you are still an "outsider" and unfortunately, as much as your heart is in the right place, this is a family matter.

HOWEVER, if you think that this Grand-dad is being neglected or abused than you should step in and contact the proper authorities.
Moderator-Allergies/Asthma and Alzheimer's, Co-moderator-UC
Diagnosed Left sided UC in '92 - meds: 6mp, Colazal, Remicade and Bentyl*Unable to tolerate ALL mesalamines*, in '11 diagnosed with IBS, Diverticulosis, Fibromylagia..I also have Sacroiilitis, Scoliosis, Raynauds, OA, PA, Rosacea, Psoriasis, Dry Eye and allergies controlled by Zyrtec and Singular

Regular Member

Date Joined Jan 2005
Total Posts : 140
   Posted 10/8/2011 7:29 AM (GMT -6)   
Thanks for your reply. I've asked the granddaughter why someone doesn't go down to the government office and get answers. It all comes down to finger pointing. They say the son who lives there doesn't do enough. They're not my family and I shouldn't pass judgment, but I'm worried about them.

I might go down to the office myself next week and see what I can do, without stepping on toes.

Thanks again.

Elite Member

Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 32602
   Posted 10/10/2011 6:33 PM (GMT -6)   
You can call your local adult protective services and report them as possible vulnerable adults. 

All adults should be able to live free from fear or harm and have their rights and choices respected. I commend you for wanting to do something to help this couple.



Moderator: GERD/Heartburn and Heart/Cardiovascular Disease.

"only as high as I reach can I grow, only as far as I seek can I go, only as deep as I look can I see, only as much as I dream can I be"
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Tuesday, September 18, 2018 12:24 PM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,004,311 posts in 329,133 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161736 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, jjmck2.
231 Guest(s), 16 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
pam lewellen, TAD4207, aidanw20, running wild, Michael_T, auzzie, Admin, Girlie, ceebs13, Serfr, Alxander, Med N, Vodka, Cran with Lyme, quincy, ddyss, caterinad