I Got the Job Offer - BUT . . . . .

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Veteran Member

Date Joined Dec 2006
Total Posts : 708
   Posted 2/24/2008 1:41 PM (GMT -6)   
They offered me the job.  The pay is less than what I am making now.  I would have to get a completely different wardrobe (which I really don't want to do).  I am having a hard time making a decision whether to take the job or not.  I have made a list of pros and cons and the cons is a lot longer than the pros.  I don't know if it is fear of change that is holding me back.  I could easily do the job.  Since they offered it to me last Tuesday (the day after I interviewed) though they have changed the hours for the position and I really don't like the new hours.  Am I trying to talk myself out of the job or should I follow my pros and cons list and decline the offer?  I'm losing a lot of sleep over this and my anxiety level is through the roof because of it.  The pro I came up with is that it would be a new skill to add to my resume.  The cons are that in my current department I do hold a level of seniority over others in the department, they know how hard I work and what an excellent worker I am and how flexible I am when it comes to doing different jobs; less pay.  If I took the new job I would be low man on the list and with the recession right now if the new department makes cuts I'd be the first to go.  I could live on the lower pay but it would be very tight.  I am in a dilema and don't know what to do.  I tell myself I don't have to take the first job offer I get.  I am presently employed (even if temporarily) and could hold out and see what else comes up.  I'm just soooooo confused and need some input from others.  I have discussed this with my Mom and she just listens and says it is your decision.  I guess I'm wanting some helpful advice or input.  I'm also worried it may be the only offer I get and may be out of a job completely when they eliminate my present one in 4-5 months.  I'm just going around in circles and need to make a decision today.  I need to get past this and need some helpful advice or support.
Lupus 2008; Primary Biliary Cirrhosis 2007;IBS 2004; Chronic Hives 2002.
Medications:  Allegra, Zantac, Ultram PRN, Xanax, Darvocet, Ursodiol.

Elite Member

Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 32602
   Posted 2/24/2008 1:52 PM (GMT -6)   

Dear Diane,
Hey there sweetie, my opinion for whatever it is worth.......stay put for now.  You are not comfortable with this idea of change and you will be going into it with anxiety and doubt.  If you are in a better position now, keep on where you are.

It is always good to look at other opportunities and interview but an offer is just that and you have the power over your feelings.  Your gut is saying no,  listen to it.

There are better things ahead for you,  I truly believe this.
I wish you all the best there is in this big wide world.

Kitt, Moderator: Anxiety ~ Panic  ~ Crohn's
*~* http://www.healingwell.com/donate *~*
It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.~Mahatma Gandhi~

Regular Member

Date Joined Apr 2004
Total Posts : 407
   Posted 2/24/2008 2:16 PM (GMT -6)   
Hey Diane - if you are interested in the position, respond to them and let them know of your concerns or cons - less pay and such and see if they will at least match your current pay...... couldn't hurt to try!
 May God Bless and keep you in his care.

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Sunday, September 23, 2018 11:25 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,005,861 posts in 329,272 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161808 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, bumed.
298 Guest(s), 6 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
DBwithUC, logoslidat, Vdang2k, 3timechamp, colitisresearch, WV Mike