I've learned how to reverse my panic attacks. I used to have them in public places without warning. usually, I can feel it coming on, so immediately I shut my mind off from it and focus it on something else. The panic literally lasts about
5 seconds, and it disappears.
Basically it happens like this:
1) Panic starts to rise.
2) I slap it in the face.
3) I tell myself that I'm fine and that nothing is wrong.
4) I shake it off and shrug my fear away. Laugh in its face.
5) Immediately I find something else to focus my mind on, like something really cool that I'm going to do later. or something that I have to get done. That always works.
6) After I've gotten my mind on something else, I immediately find something to do that engages my mind and body. Do some chores, exercise, play some ball, play video games, draw, go on a scavenger hunt...anything I can think of. What happens is that I forget all about
my anxiety and it's like it never happened.
6) Voila! I avoid a panic attack.
I just figured this out one day. I tried it on a whim, and it worked. So I do it every time now...been doing it for 8 months...and I haven't had an attack since. If you think about
it, all you're doing is using common sense against your brain. You're taking charge and controlling it instead of letting it control you.
Post Edited (trylikeafool) : 10/18/2008 12:26:15 AM (GMT-6)