Get a book called the "Mind Body Prescript
ion." It is by John Sarno, M.D. Basically, a lot of problems, even those with explanations from MRI's and xrays like disc degeneration are the result of anxiety and muscle tension. We, as humans, need to have a label for our ailments. Anxiety is not the cause for my migraines, however, it is one of the ways that my body purges the result of too much stress and anxiety. The anxiety causes me to tense, the tension triggers a migraine, the migraine causes anxiety and depression (who wants to live with chronic pain) and the vicious cycle repeats.
Here are a couple of techniques:
1) Take red dots and place them all over - your clock, your rear view mirror, the spedometer, the computer, the microwave, ETC. Whenever you see one of these dots - you must BREATHE. Deep breath from the abdomen
2) lay down on your back, put one hand over your tummy. Breathe "in" to the count of 7 - making sure that your tummy goes "out." Don't allow your "chest" to fill up - make sure that your tummy goes out. HOLD the breath to the count of 7. Exhale to the count of 7. While exhaling, try to relax to the point that your shoulders are flat against the floor and the small of your back too. You might not acomplish that but aim for that so that you get the total release. Do this for 10 -20 minutes everyday.
3) Get an index card and write down an affirmation such as "this too shall pass" or something that will comfort you. Whenever you are feeling anxious, look at the card. It gives your mind something to do instead of getting carried away with anxious thoughts.
4) When you start to feel a panic attack, look at the clock while you breathe from the abdomen. Focus on the technique while looking at the clock.
5) Whenever an anxious thought comes to your mind - write it down - on a "to-do" list. Attack your to-do list in a methodical manner. Remind yourself that you are doing the best you can. And remember YOU ARE.
I hope some of these help you. I LIVE this. I also suffer with depression, have been through hell in the last year and a half. If I didn't have my faith and my doggie, don't know if I would have made it through - still "making it through" one day at a time.
Let us know how you are doing.
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference. Amen."
Please allow HealingWell to continue helping others by donating: https://www.healingwell.com/donate/