The Coping with Chronic Illness Self-Care Quiz
by Pauline A. Salvucci
Is how you think about your self-care consistent with how well you practice it? Take this quiz and find out.
Check only one response for each question.
1. Do you have a collaborative relationship with your doctor and other health care provider/s?
2. Do you follow your doctor's treatment plan?
3. Do you more accept than deny your illness?
4. Are you satisfied with how you're coping with it?
5. Do you accept limitations resulting from your illness?
6. Have you made any changes to improve the quality of your self-care since you became ill?
7. Do you let your family members and others know exactly what you need from them?
8. If you have a support group available to you, do you attend meetings? (If you don't have a group, answer the question as if you did.)
9. Are your relationships with friends and/or coworkers satisfying?
10. Do you clear your plate of situations that drain your energy?
11. Do you refrain from negative talk about others?
12. Do you practice meditation, prayer or other spiritual exercise?
13. Do you regularly do something that truly rejuvenates you?
14. Do you have a sense of humor that lets you laugh every day?
15. Do you take time to spend with friends?
16. Do you enjoy your own company?
17. Do you speak truthfully even when your words will not be well received by your partner, or family?
18. Do you allow yourself to express your anger and frustration appropriately?
19. Do you have someone to talk with when you feel overwhelmed and sad?
20. Do you forgive those who hurt you?
21. Do you speak openly and honestly about finances with your spouse, partner and family?
Score your responses:
Almost always 5 points
Your points:_________ Bonus points:________ Total Points: ________
Rate Your Self-Care:
96 - 100 Fantastic. You're a great role model.
90 - 95 Congratulations. You are taking very good care of yourself.
80 - 89 Excellent. You definitely value self-care. Keep up the good work.
70 - 79 Great. You're absolutely on the right track. Onward and upward.
60 - 69 Very Good! You're making progress. Now keep on going.
50 - 59 Good. What specific area/s of self-care will you work on to improve?
40 - 49 Ok, but do you think you're paying enough attention to your care?
30 - 39 Hmmmm..........what's going on with you?
0 - 29 Yikes! Please see your physician or a mental health professional to do more extreme self-care..
How Did You Do?
Are there any specific questions that prompt you to improve your self-care? What are they? Begin with one question and answer it by creating the steps that will help you to follow through and meet that goal. Then move on to your next goal. Don't rush. This isn't a race, so take your time. As you take the specific steps to help you accomplish your self-care goals, you'll feel better and improve your quality of life.
© Pauline Salvucci
Pauline Salvucci, M.A. was a former licensed medical family therapist.