Hi everyone
I had my one year check up with my Onc on friday and she is a little concerned about my breast. I have had some discharge and my nipple is inverted. She has my scheduled for a mamogram and another Ct scan this week so hopefully it will be nothing.
I had blood drawn for the genetic testing but need to wait until the insurance approves it. My Dr wrote a letter explaining to them that it is important for me to have it done because of the size of my tumor and the fact that my grandmother died of ovarian cancer.
On another note Iam still debating about getting the mast done, if any of you have comments I would love it. Iam leaning towards just getting a double mast and tram done at the same time.
Thanks for any and all help.
Bernadette
Holding your hand and sending good thoughts your way. Let's hope you get good news. Hugs, Lauri
"Go confidently into the direction of your dreams. Live the life you always imagined" Thoreau
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
You will certainly have my prayers as you go through the tests and for the insurance to come through for you. This journey seems to be interupted often by the dreaded "waiting". I personally agree with the mastectomy and the bilateral seems like a great move considering your history. I don't remember your age, but the trams I would think about long and hard. Many of our sisters choose to have the bilateral without reconstruction and are certainly free with respect to clothing and ability to do more things. You can get prostheses for dressing up. Just another thought to consider. Hugs MK
Bernadette,
You have my prayers. The debate about the masts will bring you a decision soon. I agree with MK about the trams though. After my own experience in deciding about surgurys and reconstruction has lead me to a wait a see approach about reconstruction. You can always have that done later. I really feel that if I had waited I would not have had the reconstruction done. Prayers going out for you to make good decisions and that you get better soon.
L & H,
Candy
Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: if one falls down, his friend can help him up. Ecclesiastes 4:9-10
You have my prayers. The debate about the masts will bring you a decision soon. I agree with MK about the trams though. After my own experience in deciding about surgurys and reconstruction has lead me to a wait a see approach about reconstruction. You can always have that done later. I really feel that if I had waited I would not have had the reconstruction done. Prayers going out for you to make good decisions and that you get better soon.
L & H,
Candy
Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: if one falls down, his friend can help him up. Ecclesiastes 4:9-10
Bernadette: I'm sorry to hear your latest news. I know how frightening it is and you will have lots of prayers being sent up for you.
I have to agree w/ what the other ladies have said regarding the mastectomy. With the history that you have, why take a chance? I wish that my surgeon had given me the option to have a bilateral. I opted not to have reconstruction and am not sorry. Many of the ladies that I counsel have said that they are glad that they waited to decide about reconstruction. The healing process was enough for them to deal w/.
Hugs and prayers
Deb
Bernadette, I would have had them both off if they would have let me. Didn't have that option back then. I like to tell stories, so I'll tell you my "remaining breast" story. I had a very dear friend/ coworker who had breast cancer, also. One day I walked into the office and she told me another of our friends, Peggy, had been diagnosed with mets. I was shocked. We had just seen her a few weeks before, and it just didn't seem possible. My phone rang, and I just couldn't talk to anyone right then, so I let it go.
When I checked my messages, it was my oncology nurse. My bone scan, chest x-rays, and bloodwork were fine, but my mammogram showed a mass in my remaining breast, and I needed to call the office immediately. All I could think of was how lucky I was didn't show signs of mets. Losing my remaining breast seemed like a piece of cake.
This story had a happy ending for me. Follow-up tests showed no mass present. Still have the breast. Still have the mammograms. But I would much rather have the thing gone and not have the worry.
The story didn't end so well for my friends. Peggy came to Cincinnati to help me put JoAnn to rest a few months later, and then we lost our Peggy, too.
You know, to have boobs is just not worth it.
Good luck, Bernadette. I don't post much, because I feel like a lot of my experiences are not very relevant. Surgeries have changed, chemo has changed, even the laws have changed so that women CAN make the decision to have both breasts removed. But I do enjoy reading your posts.
Love and hugs...
BEV
When I checked my messages, it was my oncology nurse. My bone scan, chest x-rays, and bloodwork were fine, but my mammogram showed a mass in my remaining breast, and I needed to call the office immediately. All I could think of was how lucky I was didn't show signs of mets. Losing my remaining breast seemed like a piece of cake.
This story had a happy ending for me. Follow-up tests showed no mass present. Still have the breast. Still have the mammograms. But I would much rather have the thing gone and not have the worry.
The story didn't end so well for my friends. Peggy came to Cincinnati to help me put JoAnn to rest a few months later, and then we lost our Peggy, too.
You know, to have boobs is just not worth it.
Good luck, Bernadette. I don't post much, because I feel like a lot of my experiences are not very relevant. Surgeries have changed, chemo has changed, even the laws have changed so that women CAN make the decision to have both breasts removed. But I do enjoy reading your posts.
Love and hugs...
BEV
Oh Bernadette,
I'm sorry you have yet another thing to go through. I hope it is nothing. I agree with the ladies that the mast is a good idea. It really isn't that bad not having a breast. My surgery was a piece of cake. As for bilateral, I can't comment on that.
As for reconstruction, you may remember that I didn't think I wanted it in the beginning. But, after wearing a very heavy prosthesis for over a year, I decided to have the TRAM. It was well worth the pain and suffering.
Please keep us posted on the progress.
L & H,
L & H,
Kathy
Thanks Everyone
I appreciate the info from all of you. I have decided to do the mast and reconstruction and have an appointment with a PC next week. I want to be able to sit down and talk to the Dr to get more info from her. So it looks like it will be sometime in August. I have not had my other tests yet so nothing to report, but I will keep everyone posted.
L&H
Bernadette
I appreciate the info from all of you. I have decided to do the mast and reconstruction and have an appointment with a PC next week. I want to be able to sit down and talk to the Dr to get more info from her. So it looks like it will be sometime in August. I have not had my other tests yet so nothing to report, but I will keep everyone posted.
L&H
Bernadette
those extra prayers are coming your way. I hope the tests turn out fine. If not, I'm glad you're getting things monitored. I need to do more of that. You're a good example. I"m going to call my breast surgeon tomorrow because of you. THanks!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." -Confucius
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." -Confucius
Don't knock on Death's Door. Ring the bell and run. He hates that.
Ellen
Ellen
Anytime you need a little nudge I will be here.
L&H
Bernadette
Anytime you need a little nudge I will be here.
L&H
Bernadette
Oh Bern, lots of hugs to you. I can't give any advice on the mast since I never had one. It may be a good idea since cancer runs in your family. I would hate to have that decision to make. You're in my thoughts and prayers.