Go for a biopsy!!!! That is the only way to know for sure what you are dealing with. Being worried for months until another mammogram is not something you want to do. Most of us don't have a history of breast cancer in the family. AND a lump does not automatically mean breast cancer, but if you should have it the sooner you find out the better chance of an easier trip through the journey. I had two benign lumps long before my diagnosis nearly ten years ago. It was caught early and I have not had any cancer issues since. Be proactive and look out for number one. We are here to help with any questions any time. Hugs MK
Ms Kentucky
Take Mk's advice the biopsy is the best way to get an acurate answer. It is not worth waiting for an answer in 6 months, it will drive you nuts. Keep us posted and welcome to the group, there are alot of wonderful women here.
Bernadette
I'm for the biopsy, too. That is the ONLY way to be 100% sure what it is or isn't. I had no family history of BC, either, and was diagnosed at 44. Welcome to a great place for support and answers. Arm yourself with as much knowledge as you can, so you know what to ask your doctors.
L & H,
L & H,
Kathy
Hello Ms. Kentucky! You have come to a great site for support. We have all been in the place where you are right now. Each of us has experienced the same feelings of fear. As the others have said, HAVE THE BIOPSY! I am surprised that your dr didn't order it right away. Call tomorrow and get an appt as soon as possible. Don't let them put you off for 3 or 4 weeks by saying that it isn't something that can't wait. You won't rest easy until you have an answer and that is reason enough to get them to do it asap. Remember, YOU are your own best health advocate.
Please let us know what you decide.
Hugs...Deb
Ms. Kentucky,
You and your doctor have done everything right so far. Continue on that path and get the biopsy done. Like you have been told by other ladies on this board it is the only 100% way to know for sure.
There is not a family history of B/C in my family either and I was dx at 55. I actually had to have a lumpectomy for the right dx. but then I had a very rare type of B/C. So make the appointments now and relieve your worries.
Please stay with us and let us know what is happening. Remember you are your best supporter and you are the boss.
Peace,
Candy
Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: if one falls down, his friend can help him up. Ecclesiastes 4:9-10
I would definately have the biopsy too, but I would also consider having it out and then biopsied. You're going for a procedure anyway and if it won't change your lifestyle too much, who wants to live with a mass in their breast? This is coming from someone who's been through lots of surgeries for other issues, so I don't scare easily when contemplating a surgical procedure. You'd have to ask yourself about what the drawbacks would be for you and what it's worth to you. At least have the biopsy. You can be awake for a biopsy so you probably won't have to face any anesthesia risks, which might not be the case for a mass removal. However, if you're hardy and your surgeon says it's all right, you could potentially be awake if you decide to have it removed, too. I was able to elect a local anesthetic for some procedures.
Welcome to our board. Hope you don't join the club no one wants to join, but I'm glad you found us. You couldn't have found a better support network than these ladies.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." -Confucius
Don't knock on Death's Door. Ring the bell and run. He hates that.
Ellen
I'm going to line up behind everyone else and vote for a biopsy. We all know that it is the only way to know for sure. I doubt that you will find anyone here who says do nothing. Find out what you are dealing with now. A 1/2 cm lump is very small, so even if it is cancer, you are dealing with something in the very early stages when it is most easily and effectively treated. As soon as you have this taken care of ditch the smokes and get off the hormones. You will be better off without. Good luck and let us know what you find out. Lauri
"Go confidently into the direction of your dreams. Live the life you always imagined" Thoreau
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
hi ms.kentucky! i am new here as well. the people here are very nice and give good advice! i am also in that limbo position between having had the mams and ultrasound but not yet had the biopsy. hopefully the biopsy will be in the next 2 weeks. i would do it tomorrow if the doctor called! my only words of wisdom are to quit the sticks! i quit smoking 8-9 years ago the day my mom was diagnosed with ibc. granted, i had been looking for that extra push to quit but wasnt expecting such a kick in the head as that. also, if you end up having any type of surgery involving anesthesia (and you havent quit smoking) be completely honest with the anesthesiologist about the amount you smoke. if you smoke a pack a day he needs to know that because it affects how they anesthetize you. at least thats what they told me when i had my first lumpectomy. quitting isnt easy. what works for one person wont work for the next. all we can do is keep trying.
good luck!!!
Ruthie
good luck!!!
Ruthie
What was the ct scan for?
Go for the biopsy like everyone says. I'm 48 and there is no history of BC in my family. I am a smoker too and I did fine with the anesthesia when they removed my lump. I opted for the core biopsy (I think it's called) where they just sitck a needle like thing in your breast and take a sample. Unfortunately, there was a small percent that was unsure so I had to go in for surgery to take more samples, then surgery a month later to remove all the lump. I had a local for the first surgery, then the more powerful stuff for the whole removal of the lump.